Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A Hard Post to Write


"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." At least that's how it feels for me right now as I look at this picture. It's the BEST because Ella Kate & Walker absolutely love this man. They think he hung the moon and, if I'm honest, I do too. But it's the "worst of times" because Emma is not in his lap and she'll never have that opportunity. She'll never hear him say "that's some sweet meat" when she kisses him. She'll never get to play "eye-de-winker, tom-thinker, nose-dropper, mouth-eater, chin-chopper, getcha getcha goo" which always gets a laugh. 
My sweet Papaw just went home to be with Jesus. He loved the Lord with everything that he had, so I am confident it was a beautiful homecoming for him.  But, that doesn't make it any easier as I sit in a hotel room in Wuhan, China. My heart aches to be at home with my family right now. Oh how I NEED to talk to Ella Kate about this.  She handles things so beautifully and has that precious faith that we could all use a bit more of. Ok...a lot more of.  It is just a helpless feeling to be on the other side of the world!  I'm thankful though that he loved us all so deeply and that even though he never met Emma, he knew about her and at least saw her sweet face in pictures.  When I showed him her picture, I said "Papaw, what I am going to do? She doesn't have any hair! How will I get a bow in that?"  He responded with, "well baby, I'm sure you will find a way!" I will so miss our weekly lunch dates when the kids behavior was always in question. It was worth every (sweaty after wrestling  them) minute. It is truly a blessing that my kids have had such a special relationship with him.  I tell them all the time how lucky they are to have had him. We are all lucky. 
Love you Papaw. Ella Kate, Walker & Emma love you too.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Wesley! I am so sorry! I know how very special your Papaw is to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry....we loved Dr. Porter. I called my dad and he said: 'oooooh he was such a nice guy...and so smart and sharp.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wesley, I'm so sorry! I'll be praying for your family here, too. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete