Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Exploring with EK

Over the weekend, the Nelsons took E and W back to Columbus so I could wrap up all the end of the year craziness at the preschool. The little two enjoyed every minute of their time (pics to come) and something tells me (well, EK tells me) a certain 7 year old enjoyed some special one on one time with mama and daddy. We did some exploring downtown on Saturday and checked out a little art/music festival.


When we were leaving downtown, I notice the Veterans memorial and one symbol caught my eye. I made J do a u turn so we could check it out up close. 
See the red DD? That is the symbol for my Papaw's infantry division from WWII. Those red letters mean so much to me as I have seen them proudly displayed in my grandparent home, on Papaw's car, on a pin he wore on his blazer, on his hat, you get the idea. It's a big deal to our family and there is a monument right here in town that we never knew existed!  I sent this pic of EK to my mom and Aunt Carolyn, and then I received this picture....
Here is my precious Papaw with the monument on the coast. Oh the tears. I miss his so much. I know he would have been so proud to see EK studying all the information and then asking questions to learn more about Papaw's involvement in the army. (Side note...one of her favorite family stories ever is the story of how Papaw and Mamaw met in the hospital after Papaw was injured.😊) 
After I composed myself, we were back on the road and decided to see what the county fair at Livingston was like. EK and I took a spin on the ferries wheel first. While on our ride, she discussed the other rides she might be interested in riding. She's a cautious little thing, so after seeing the big "thrill" rides, she decided she might just stick with the teacups.
When I'm Livingston, the candy store is a must. So much sugary goodness!
Girlfriend found a buddy and then proceeded to whirl and twirl on those teacups for 4 rides in a row. I'm not sure how she kept from losing her gummy worms!🤢
We found an activity that was right up EKs alley. She was fired up to get to paint a new piece for her room.
It was such a nice time to spend with our biggest love. We don't get to do one on one things nearly as frequently as we would like so it made for an extra special time together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment